I’m gonna get straight to it. Although I love creating playlists on Spotify for the classes that I teach, I don’t actually listen to music during my own workouts. As an entrepreneur, a lifelong learner, and a yogi, my workout time is an opportunity to grow. Here’s what I listen to while working out.
Audio Books & Podcasts
I’m a sucker for a good life or business lesson. Since it’s a little challenging to read while lifting weights, I sneak it in with audio-books and podcasts. A few of my all time favs include:
- The Bitch Switch by Omarosa
- Goals! by Brian Tracy
- It’s Called A Breakup Cause It’s Broken by Greg Behrendt and Amiira Ruotola-Behrendt
- Promote Yourself to CEO with Rachael Cook
- MBOM with Amanda Kingsmithh
- Side Hustle with Soul by Dielle Sharon
This will probably sound strange to anyone who is not familiar with yoga, but in the studio, it’s common to practice:
- Focusing on your breath
- Manipulating your breath with structured practices
- Linking your breath to movement
Research has shown that pranayama (or breath practice) can help to balance your nervous system, reduce stress, improve focus and aide in managing conditions such as insomnia or depression.
Affirmations & Mantra
If you’ve got any type of goals and/or a vision for your life that you’re determined to see through to fruition, the perfect time to affirm your aspirations is during your workout. Your body is already sending out feel good hormones that pump you full of energy. Capitalize on that with a few words or phrases that will motivate and inspire you to believe in yourself and take action. Some of my favorites are:
- I am strong
- I am capable
- I always stay true to my values
- Love lives inside of me (from India Arie)
- I got this!
- I am already on the path to greatness.
So tell me… do you listen to music while working out? Have you ever tried one of the strategies I mentioned above? Tell me your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
PS – Want to learn more about how to live a happier, healthier life? Join our community on Facebook.